Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Piazza della Signoria

ITALY | Tuesday, 20 December 2011 | Views [1155]

Perseus and Medusa, Piazza della Signoria, Florence

Perseus and Medusa, Piazza della Signoria, Florence

Perhaps the best place to begin exploring the art and history of Florence (or Firenze) is  on the Piazza della Signoria.  This is where Fra. Savonarola held his "Bonfire of the Vanities," a book and art burning ceremony to get the Florentines back on the right religious track.  Ironically, it is the same place he was later burned at the stake.

We could have used a little bonfire as we waited in the sub-freezing piazza for the Ufizzi office to open.  "Molto freddo" as they say in Italy!  Even the hot chocolate didn't help.  We marveled at the sculptures in the loggia, like Giambologna's "Rape of the Sabine Women" and Cellini's "Perseus" killing Medusa.  All this great art and the locals hardly take notice.

We finally bought our "Ufizzi Pass," which entitles us to unlimited visits to many of the museums until the end of the year.  Our first stop was the Ufizzi Gallery, a collection of painting and sculpture from pre-Roman times through the Renaissance.  When our minds and legs gave out after four hours - there is still a lot to see - we crossed the Arno River on the famous Ponte Vecchio towards the Pitti Palace, a collection of museums that will take us several days to see.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.