Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Perfect Timing

ALBANIA | Sunday, 20 November 2011 | Views [884]

Eralda, our newest friend!

Eralda, our newest friend!

Some days nothing seems to go right but today things worked out perfectly.  When we dropped the car off at the Podgorica airport I didn’t think we had a chance to make it into Albania today.  But our taxi to the bus station arrived just in time to catch the bus to Ulcinj, where Lonely Planet said we could find a bus to Albania.  No bus but we shared a taxi with Dave to Shkodra, just across the border, where a mini-bus was waiting to take us all the way to Tirana, the capitol.  Dave lives in Vancouver but has been staying in the Czech Republic for the past few months teaching English.  He’s traveling to Greece to meet up with some of his buddies for a sailing holiday.

In Tirana Dave headed south and we set off to find a hotel.  When I asked a young woman if she knew of one, Eralda offered to show us a nice, inexpensive place in the “student district,” even though it was nowhere near where she was headed.  While I went to the ATM Connie got Eralda’s history.  She is a 19 year-old pharmacy student from Pefhkopia, near the Macedonian border.  She is a serious Muslim and though cute as a bunny, doesn’t have time for a boyfriend.  

She ushered us onto a crowded bus and even paid our thirty-cent fare, insisting that a taxi is a waste of money.  Several stops later she led us up a maze of cobbled alleyways to Hotel Studenti, then negotiated the rate so that we wouldn’t be charged as foreigners.  The room was dark and the toilet seat is missing but otherwise it is quite OK.  It has satellite TV with several English channels and handful of porn stations, too.  We still don’t have a clue where we are but it will be fine for one night.

If we had gotten to the bus station in Podgorica a minute later none of this would have worked out!

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Albania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.