Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

The Yin and Yang of Albania

ALBANIA | Wednesday, 23 November 2011 | Views [1750]

Greek theater, Butrint

Greek theater, Butrint

We arrived in Saranda yesterday after a six-hour trip from Berat in a cramped furgon.  It wasn’t the most scenic of rides.  The roads are terrible, bridges are worse and the roadsides are covered with trash.  Litter was everywhere even in the World Heritage site at Berat.  After our driver added a liter of oil to the bus, he tossed the empty plastic container on the ground. 

During the communist days littering was banned and there was a massive recycling program.  Now the people say, “I am free.  Look at what I can do!” as they dump trash by the truckload along the roads and into the streams.  Albania isn’t an easy place to like.

Hotel Grand is one of scores of hotels in Saranda, just a long swim across the Ionian Sea from the Greek island of Corfu.  During his communist reign, Enver Hoxha, “Comrade-Chairman-Prime Minister-Minister of War-Commander in Chief of the People’s Army,” commissioned the building of 60,000 (some say 700,000) concrete mushroom-shaped bunkers around the country as a defense against foreign invasions.  He also had barbed wire fences erected along the shoreline to keep his people from attempting to swim to freedom.

Fatimir, the taxi driver, picked us up at nine in his old Mercedes, one of the thousands stolen in Western Europe and smuggled down the coast – a lucrative business in the 90s when there were only 2000 cars in all of Albania.  He probably overcharged us for the trip from Saranda to Butrint National Park but it was still cheaper than renting a car.  Not only is Butrint a national park, it is a World Heritage site and is endowed by Lord Rothschild’s Butrint Foundation.  Apparently it is this triple-protection that keeps the site in its pristine condition today.  Butrint was a Greco-Roman city set in a humid, almost tropical forest that reminded us of Tikal in Guatemala or Cambodia’s Angkor.  We had the ruins entirely to ourselves – the mosquitoes, and us that is.  There wasn’t much we hadn’t seen before but it is nice to know that the flooded site is being preserved.  And it is the only liter-free place we have seen in the entire country!

Most tourists arrive in Albania from Corfu, get their passports stamped, spend a day or two and depart, having seen the best that Albania has to offer.  We, on the other hand, traveled the length of the country to see Butrint.  Along the way we have seen the worst of Albania.  But we have also met many wonderful people, the true measure of any country.

 

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Albania

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.