Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Climbing the Family Tree

FRANCE | Friday, 2 September 2011 | Views [1044]

The butcher's sign.  He may have also been the guillotine operator

The butcher's sign. He may have also been the guillotine operator

Nicole was researching the Mallo lineage when she ran into the first Lintz to marry into it.  On Thursday she took us to the towns where these ancestors of Connie and Ron’s (remember Ron?  This is all being done for him!) lived.  And died. 

We picked up the scent of Lintzes in the picturesque town of Vissembourg but it may have been mixed with the smell of meat.  Andre Lintz (Lintz #1) was a respected member of the Butcher’s Guild.  Nicole believes he may also have been the executioner, the man who worked the guillotine.  Butchers of the time knew where to make the proper cut.

Lintzes also may have lived in Eberbach but we couldn’t find a trace of them in the cemetery.  After a grave has been neglected for years it seems it can be “recycled” and, no, we didn’t ask what happens to the old remains.

John Jacob, the Lintz who married Ms. Mallo then immigrated to the US, came from Griesbach – the one in Alsace.  Nicole has photocopies of the marriage document but Griesbach is a small town and town hall is open for only two hours a week.  To paraphrase WC Fields “I went to Griesbach once but it was closed!”

If you can’t find a Lintz, look for Mallo.  So on our way from Strasbourg to Nicole and Thaddeas’s home in Savoie we stopped near Riquewihr in the heart of Alsace wine country to do just that at Mallo and Fils Winery.  Dominique, one of the ‘fils’ took time from his busy schedule to tell us about the vineyards and the family.  He owns seven hectares with several varieties of grapes.  Not enough, he says, to make a living but too much for one person to work.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.