Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

J'aime Strasbourg!

FRANCE | Wednesday, 31 August 2011 | Views [920]

The Tanner's House, Strasbourg

The Tanner's House, Strasbourg

Strasbourg is fantastic.  It was named “capital of Europe” in 1945 and today houses several of the European Union ministries.  But it is first and foremost a medieval city with a rich and vibrant history.  It is also the center of Alsace, the northern part of France that has been sometimes German and sometimes French, depending on which direction the political winds were blowing.  You are as likely to hear German as French spoken on the street.  Or maybe it’s Alsatian – a version of German peppered with French phrases.

The River Ill, a major transportation artery in times past and a source of power for Strasbourg’s many mills, bisects the city.  Many of the houses are “half-timbered” and date back to the 1600s. The most photogenic was once the tanner’s house, smelly then and beautiful now.  There is a bakery that dates from 1279 and a wine cellar – in the hospital of all places – with a cask of wine from 1472, which, we were assured, is still drinkable.  The cathedral is one of the most impressive Gothic structures we have yet seen, especially at night.  And Strasbourg has had its share of famous residents; Goethe, Wagner, Mozart, Gutenberg, and Albert Schweitzer, just to name a few.

We learned much of this from the audio-guided walking tour of the old town and the boat tour of the river.  Nicole, who was both a student and a teacher here, added her share while her sometime tour guide friend, Guy, showed us some of the lesser-known places.  There are probably things we haven’t seen in Strasbourg, but there can’t be too many.

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.