Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

New Relatives

FRANCE | Monday, 29 August 2011 | Views [777]

"Cousin" Nicole and Thaddeas, Cathedral of Strasbourg

Although “Cousin” Nicole and her husband, Thaddeus, didn’t know us from Adam and Eve, they met us at the Strasbourg station and drove us to their borrowed flat.  We will stay with them for three or four days while we are pinch-hitting for Connie’s brother Ron, the Lintz family genealogist.  We had planned on meeting him and Bonnie here for a quick hello, but they had to cancel their entire trip and left us to carry on.

Ron located Nicole in cyberspace when their genealogy searches intersected.  Somewhere back in Napoleonic times a Lintz (Ron’s line) married a Mallow (Nicole’s family) and they moved to America from Griesbach, France.  Ron and Nicole kept in touch, shared information and finally decided to meet in France so she could show him the places where the families once lived.  He and Bonnie couldn’t make it, we are here, and now it’s up to us to climb the family tree in a manner of speaking. 

There is a bit of a problem.  Nicole insists she isn’t comfortable speaking English.  Thaddeus has a great ear for music but not languages and doesn’t understand a bit of English.  They both speak German but that is of little comfort with our “ein bischen Deutsch.”  Connie “ne parle pas Français, aussi.”  So it’s up to me with my terrible French and Nicole to communicate and pass on the story.  Luckily, though Nicole slips back into French when she gets excited or tired, she speaks much better English than she lets on.  And, surprise! 45 years after high school, I understand more French than I thought.  This might work after all.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.