Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Back on the Heritage Trail

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 10 August 2011 | Views [626]

Whitby Abbey, Yorkshire

Whitby Abbey, Yorkshire

We are back on the Heritage trail in Yorkshire and our first stop was Pickering Castle.  It wasn’t much to look at today but William the Conqueror himself built the first “bailey and mote” castle on the site in 1068 to encourage obedience to his Norman laws.

Scarborough Castle had no parsley, sage, rosemary or thyme.  And not much else.  It was pretty much destroyed during the Civil War and came under fire again in the early days of WW I by German gunships.  Its location is spectacular, high on a peninsula overlooking the sea on both sides.  We could stare down on surfers waiting for that perfect wave.  Who would have thought of surfing in the UK.

Connie usually saves the best – and the most distant –for last.  The road out took us through Flyingdale Moor where the heather was in full bloom and we could see the abbey long before we reached town.  It too sits above the harbor and was also shelled by German warships during WW I.

We got lucky once again with the weather; it rained only when we were driving, not when we were at the sites.  But the wind at Whitby was relentless.  Unlike most abbeys, Whitby didn’t have an abbot but and abbess.  Like many others it was built over a Norman church.  It was one of the most impressive we have seen and it must have been truly stunning in its day.

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.