Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

A Monk's Tale: Mount Grace Priory

UNITED KINGDOM | Friday, 12 August 2011 | Views [642]

Mount Grace Priory, Yorkshire

Mount Grace Priory, Yorkshire

Just when we think we have it all figured out, they threw us a curve.  Take monasteries for instance.  We have visited the ruins of Cluniac and Cistercian abbeys and priories and know the difference between them.  We have learned about the daily life of the monks, their various duties and their prayer schedule.  We have seen the refractories where they ate, the quires where they prayed and their chapter houses and parlours, the only places they were allowed to speak.  And we have marveled at cathedrals like Whitby Abbey, which were categorically “suppressed” under order of Henry VIII.

The Carthusian monks, we learned today at Mount Grace Priory, were a different animal altogether.  Like the Cistercians before them, the Carthusian order wanted a return to the strict rules set down by St. Benedict.  But they carried it to extremes, at least on the surface. Carthusian monks did not speak.  Ever.  Not even in the parlour.  They did not sleep in dormitories, but in their own individual cells.  They didn’t eat in the refractory; instead their meals were served in their cells, too.  They spent their entire waking day – and they were long days – either working or praying.  Sounds gruesome and tedious, doesn’t it.

But their “cells” were spacious four-room houses; living room, bedroom, study and a loft for their special skills, like weaving or pottery making.  Each monk had a large garden, running water and the most modern plumbing of the time.  They spent a lot of time on their knees, either in the garden or in prayer, but all in all, it wasn’t a bad life.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.