Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Gone to the Dogs

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 9 August 2011 | Views [709]

Pippin starts the agility test, Hounds and Hares Dog Agility Competition

Pippin starts the agility test, Hounds and Hares Dog Agility Competition

Stephanie is the last of the Uganda group we wanted to look up.  She is the one we knew best, because for six months she was our boss at the Jane Goodall Institute despite being half our age. 

Her new passion is dog agility training and competitions.  We tracked her down at the Hare and Hounds competition where she was spending her holiday week with her dogs, Pippin and Belle.  Judging by the number of caravans, overweight trainers and barking dogs, agility training is a big thin in England.  We learned that it takes patience, skill and a sense of humor by both the dog and the trainer to complete the agility and jumping courses.  Sometimes the dog messes up, more often it is human error.

Belle, a whippet/greyhound mix seems to be pretty hopeless.  Sure, she’s fast but she has trouble following the course.  Pip’s disadvantage is that she is only part border collie and part lab.  Collies and Australian sheppards seem to dominate the sport but Pip managed to win a third place ribbon. 

Good dog!

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.