Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Blind Date in Scotland

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 7 August 2011 | Views [1227]

Castle on the North Sea, North Berwick, Scotland

Castle on the North Sea, North Berwick, Scotland

Visiting with Paul and Wendy was more like a blind date than an actual reunion.  When we received their email inviting us to stay, we actually had to consult our journal to recall when and where we had met them: last year in Peru on a bus from Puno to Cuzco as it turns out.  Paul is a Scot, born and bred in the Highlands, with the accent to match.  Wendy is a perky Dutch lass who has added a Gaelic lilt to her slightly accented English.  They are both well-traveled.

We hadn’t planned on traveling to Scotland on this UK trip but couldn’t resist their invitation.  As soon as Wendy opened the bright red door of their home we knew we had made the right decision.  She is one of those people you like immediately, even more the second time.  She didn’t want to waste a second of the precious sunshine and hustled us off for a quick tour of town.

North Berwick its on the south side of the Firth of Forth – no kidding!  Beaches, small town life and world-class golf make it one of the most sought after locations in Scotland and their house fits in perfectly.  As we strolled along the harbor healthy looking kids in wetsuits with salt-crusted hair trundled their “topper” sailboats across the beach after finishing the regatta.  They were such a contrast from the chubbies we have seen elsewhere.

Paul returned from work in Edinburgh around six and within minutes the four of us were sipping pints in the local pub.  My kind of guy!  We drank too much before returning home for Wendy’s fabulous dinner.  Our conversation that evening could hardly be considered “catching up” since we knew so little about each other.  We talked mostly about travel; trips past and trips yet to be taken. 

Their home is, in a word, incredible – three stories, four bedrooms, a modern spacious kitchen in the most desirable town in Scotland.  And we had a giant bedroom with a huge en-suite bath in the attic where we could listen to the rain on the skylight windows.  They don’t have a yard to speak of but with the town park across the street and the beach a block away, who needs it?

Wendy took us around to her favorite beach spots after breakfast on Saturday.  The North Sea coast is rugged and unbelievably scenic with cliffside castles and islands covered with breeding gannets.  The water must be freezing but we saw families sunning and kids swimming.  The gray seals looked more comfortable.

The rain started just as we were walking to the local Highland games and grew steadily heavier as the day progressed.  The pipers and drummers were soggy but undaunted and the stone hurlers and caber tossers hardly seemed to notice.  We eventually found our way back into town for a nice dinner.

The record rains continued through the night and all day Sunday.  Paul wanted to show us Edinburgh, not terribly impressive in the gloom.  Wendy’s plan was to drive into the highland heather to see the famous (red) grouse.  They were there even if a bit waterlogged but overflowing streams forced us to retreat back home for another visit to the pub before dinner.

 

 

 

 

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.