Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Newchurch Treasure Hunt

UNITED KINGDOM | Saturday, 30 July 2011 | Views [774]

Climbing the stile, Newchurch treasure hunt

Climbing the stile, Newchurch treasure hunt

We have been staying with friends in an 18th Century cottage in Barley, a small hamlet in Lancashire.  Everyone in England, it seems, claims to live in a cottage but theirs is the real deal. The ceilings are low, the creaky stairs are steep and the walls are thick.  Hot waster is available only when they turn on the boiler and the only time I have been warm is in front of the coal fire Chris builds in the evenings.  

Village life is quiet; an evening walk or a visit to the pub can be the day’s highlight.  Everyone in Barley seems to know not only everyone else but everything about them, something Connie tells me is common in small towns and is a major reason she moved away as soon as she graduated from college. 

Life in a small village isn’t always dull.  Take today’s Newchurch Treasure Hunt, for example, a fund-raising event for the Queen’s Jubilee festival next year.  Each team received a map and a list of 75 clues to be found around town.  We wandered around the church cemetery, down pubic pathways and country roads.   We climbed stiles through ancient rock walls and across pastures filled with sheep, always searching for the next clue: a date on the sundial, a particular statue, an abandoned tractor tire, and other insignificant things that forced us to really look around. 

Everyone who started out returned for the barbeque, which seemed to surprise the organizers.  We didn’t win and we didn’t lose and we had a great time.  We spent much of the afternoon talking and drinking with the locals and met some people that Chris and Rose didn’t even know.  Except for the accents this could have been Smalltown, USA in the 1960s and it gave us a unique glimpse of England that most visitors would never see.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.