Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Summer

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 3 August 2011 | Views [608]

A day at the beach, sunbathing on the NE coast of England

A day at the beach, sunbathing on the NE coast of England

It rained yesterday and the forecast for tomorrow is more of the same.  But summer, glorious summer, arrived in northeast England today.  The temperature topped out at 20 C, that's nearly 70 degrees F!  And the sun shined all day long.

We were at the "beach" near Dunstanburgh Castle on England's rocky northeast coast, along with hundreds of sun-starved English holiday makers.  A "beach" doesn't necessarily include sand any more than a "forest" includes trees in England-speak.  But it is along the coast, even if you must walk through pastures or cattle and sheep.

Sun worshippers strip to their bathing costumes and lie about on the grass and rocks while their kids splash through tidal pools with nets and buckets at the ready, searching for who-knows-what.  The artistic create beach art from the flotsam and jetsam (never knew which was which) tossed up by the high tides.  Dogs sniff at those things only dogs find interesting and fisherman line the rocks, patiently casting for mackerel.  And Connie, ever hopeful, finally saw her elusive razorbill.

Summer in England can be fleeting and every minute counts!

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.