Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Going Underground

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 27 July 2011 | Views [1372]

Simon, Connie, John and Chris

Simon, Connie, John and Chris

Simon must have thought us daft when I asked if this would be a dry cave or a wet cave.  Our experience in South Dakota and New Mexico has been in dry caves.  They were still formed by water, and you might get a little muddy but Wind Cave and Carlsbad Cavern are essentially dry.  English caves, all 7000 of them, are wet with streams and lakes and waterfalls.  No jeans and hiking boots here, but caving suits and “wellies”, knee high rubber boots; helmets and lamps, of course, and simple climbing harnesses, abseil brakes and carabineers.

Simon lives next door to Chris and Rose.  When he isn’t tending his bees or selling quality horse feed he operates a program for at risk kids, “bad boys” he calls them, as he once was, too.  Caving is a major part of the curriculum.  It builds their self-esteem and teaches them teamwork while keeping them off the streets and out of trouble.  He is a fully certified caving instructor and explorer, one of the (1) intrepid, (2) foolish, (3) insane [choose all that apply] who donned scuba gear and dive into underground lakes and rivers to see where they go.  He gave up cave diving when his daughter Isabel was born and he realized how many mates he had lost underground.

Before we began our descent, Simon took Chris and Rose into a former “show cave” to give them a tiny taste of what caving is like.  Sadly these were the only photos we have of the day.  I couldn’t bring my expensive camera into Kingsvale and I forgot to take photos while we were all kitted out.

Our previous caving experiences consisted of crawling on hands and knees or squirming on bellies through tight fissures in the rock.  Kingsvale was formed by rushing water that completely filled the tunnels, leaving them as nearly perfect arches.  Unfortunately they are often only a meter high.  Crouching and duck-walking takes a heavy toll on a 64-year old body like mine.  My back and quads got the worst and if not for the helmet I would have been knocked senseless dozens of times.   But Simon really loves his caves and he spent a lot of time showing us speliotherms like stalactites, stalagmites, draperies, columns, fossils and more.

Wellies aren’t worn to keep feet dry – you are guaranteed to find water deeper than they are – but once they fill up your body head warms the water inside; fine until the next deep spot.  Sometimes we were able to “stem” across swift, deep bits by straddling the stream with feet pressed against opposite walls.  Traction was surprisingly good making this feel more like canyoneering in Utah than caving in New Mexico. 

Time seems to move at a different pace underground and it’s impossible to guess at distances, but we eventually reached a 25-foot drop off.  This is why we wore harnesses and carried rope.  Simon rigged our Kevlar rope to the permanent bolts fixed to the rock and explained the use of the descenders.  Caving ropes are static unlike climbing ropes, which stretch when weighted and descents can be hundreds of feet long.  Descending with a climber’s rappel (abseil) device would cause you to spin uncontrollably and leave the rope a twisted snarl, so cavers use a simple mechanical braking system.

We didn’t go much beyond the bottom of the rappel.  The next section gets really wet and Connie and I weren’t properly dressed.  When Rose showed us the gear Simon left I didn’t realize the fuzzy fleece was part of our kit.  I thought it was Rose’s bathrobe and we left it behind.  No harm, no foul.  We were getting cold and tired and we had gotten the gist of caving in England.  We climbed out on a narrow aluminum caving ladder, the hardest part of the day, then moaned and crashed and splashed our way back to the entrance.

He didn’t charge us for the day so we treated him and his family to dinner with Chris and Rose at Banny’s famous fish and chips.  It was the least we could do.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.