Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

The Louvre

FRANCE | Tuesday, 21 June 2011 | Views [1007]

Waiting to see

Waiting to see "Mona", Louvre

It would crass to make jokes about perhaps the greatest art collection in the world, wouldn’t it?  Something like, “Louvre – French for OMG, who are all these people?”  Or “Nobody goes to the Louvre anymore.  It’s too crowded!”  So I won’t.

But, OMG, who are all these people?  And where did they come from?  The wait just to get to the ticket booth was 45 minutes and then the real traffic jam began.  The Louvre is unimaginably large so most people head for what they have come to see; top honors go to Leonardo’s “Mona Lisa” and “The Captive,” a marble statue by Michelangelo.  They are both in the same area and the congestion is unreal.

Once you get through the crush things begin to open up.  The map of the museum isn’t very clear to the first- (or second-, or third-) time visitor so you always feel a little lost.  Not a bad place to be lost, unless you have limited time and a lot to see.  Despite the number of English speaking visitors – or non-French speakers – very few of the labels are in English.  Large tour groups always seem to be in the way and for some reason people feel they must have their photo taken standing directly in front of the most famous works.

The art, of course, is spectacular!  What more can one say?  It didn’t take long for my brain to experience sensory overload.  My back and feet gave out soon after.  And, yes, Alan and Diana, this is art I could understand.  I knew the Biblical stories (some of them anyway) and the Greek myths.  I could recognize human subjects that looked heroically human.  And there were too many breasts to count! 

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.