Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Hotel Hop Scotch in Paris

FRANCE | Monday, 20 June 2011 | Views [957]

Playing

Playing "Hotel Hopscotch" Paris

Sometimes you get lucky.  Sometimes you don’t!

The train from Toulouse to Paris was 45 minutes late.  Which was lucky because SNCF, the French railroad, had no record of the ticket we bought online from Rail Europe, even though the cost had been deducted from our account.  We just had time to buy new tickets but our Visa debit card wouldn’t work with SNCF.

The train pulled into Paris around seven.  Luckily, Gare Austerlitz is near the Latin Quarter but our first choice, Hotel de l’Esperance, had a room for Sunday but not Saturday.  So I left Connie with the luggage and found a hotel with a room for one night only, so we booked both.  On Sunday morning we moved to l’Esperance and learned they had a cancellation so we could stay until Tuesday. 

Have you ever heard of the Paris Air Show?  Evidently 138,000 visitors have and it is this week.  Think of showing up in New Orleans without reservations on Super Bowl weekend.  We are lucky we didn’t end up sleeping under a bridge.

After more searching for non-existent rooms and a bowl of Vietnamese pho we took the Metro to Sacre Coeur.  We somehow missed Sacre Coeur on our 911-interrupted visit in 2001.  As famous as it is I didn’t realize Sacre Coeur was basically new – only 125 years old – and in need of major work.  There are collection boxes inside to repair the organ, vending machines that dispense medallions, and votive candles sell for ten euros.  Sunday afternoon probably isn’t the best time to visit and the crowds were even larger because of the mountain bike race that ended on the steps.  So much for being sacred! 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.