Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Life in a Fairy Tale - St. Martin de Vers

FRANCE | Saturday, 18 June 2011 | Views [1477]

Alan, Diana and Connie, St. Martin de Vers

Alan, Diana and Connie, St. Martin de Vers

Have you ever wondered what it would be like to live in a fairy tale?  Alan and Diana, kindred spirits we met on the cruise, do just that.  They fell in love with St. Martin de Vers and bought a home there in 2004 and now split the year between France and California. There is no reason why you should have heard of St. Martin de Vers - at the height of summer the population may reach one hundred.  The church is believed to be 1000 years old but most of the thirty houses have been standing for only a quarter of that time.  For Alan and Diana, renovating the house has been (and I imagine will continue to be) a labor of love but the results are charming.

In the first hour of walking around the village we met half a dozen residents.  Many speak perfect English and every one was a real character.  One man, an expat described as “an individual,” wandered by in a hooded white monk’s robe.  Claire, who lives in the former town hall, (not to be confused with the other Claire) has raised ten kids, gone through three husbands and is now working on prospect #4.  Even Eddy, the bread guy, had a big smile and a “Bon jour” for us.  Bread delivery is THE big event of the week but if will face competition for Saturday’s wedding, a village affair.  Later Alan and I rustled up dinner; pork chops hacked from the loin by the butcher, foie gras, sautéed turnips and apples, Eddie’s bread and, of course, good local wine.  And great pastries.

      Eddie, the Bread Guy

Connie and I slept fitfully in the attic bedroom.  Part of the problem was our colds.  Part was the church bells that rang every fifteen minutes and marked the hour - TWICE.  I guess it is too easy to loose track of time in paradise.  It rained overnight but Alan wasn’t deterred and insisted on showing us a good time.  We stopped here and there for magnificent views, a hidden Roman aquaduct and bits of local French history.  We ended up in St. Cirq de Lapopie, another of France’s panoramic medieval villages.  They all begin to run together after a while like wet paint.

We celebrated our reunion and my birthday with lunch at Truite d’Or, the Golden Trout.  As much as I wanted the trout I thought the veal stew would be more filling on a cold day.  I didn’t realize we would first have a tureen of vegetable soup, salad, a crock of pate and a loaf of bread before the main course.  Desert was overkill.

We spent the rest of the afternoon in Cahors where Diana had her weekly language lesson.  She is pretty fluent in French so she is studying Occitan, the ancient language of the region.  Alan jokes that she is in her seventh year in the beginner’s class.  Not much for dinner – we were still full from lunch – but Alan treated me to my first pastis.  It's an acquired taste, a bit like liquid Good N Plenty candies (or Jagermeister), both of which I like.  Maybe I have some French genes after all.

 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.