Existing Member?

Expat Vagabonds "Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow mindedness." Mark Twain

Reims and Provins

FRANCE | Wednesday, 22 June 2011 | Views [1588]

Joan of Arc by Chagall, Reims Cathedral

Joan of Arc by Chagall, Reims Cathedral

No rooms in Paris so we are driving again.  Our chariot this time is a Peugeot 207 diesel, which is even smaller than the Fiat.  But it holds our luggage and should get 55 mpg.  Connie did a Magellanesque job of navigation through the streets of Paris and out into the French countryside.  It is different than in le Midi, but no less attractive.  We have been touring the backroads of Champagne through seemingly endless vineyards.  Fields less suited to grapes are sown with wheat, oats, corn, shard and sunflowers.  The frequent “diversions” (detours) have forced Connie to do a lot of “recalculating” in GPS parlance, taking us off our map and through some quaint tiny villages, many so small you hardly get a chance to read their names.

There aren’t many people who remember WWI first-hand anymore but Champagne is dotted with military cemeteries and monuments from the battles that were fought here like the one we visited at Château Thierry.  The United State owes France a great debt for their financial help in the American Revolution.  But it has been repaid with blood in both World Wars, a fact I would like to remind some of the less than friendly French we have run into.

Reims (pronounced with a throat-clearing HR-EHM – the ‘s’ is silent) is famous for it’s magnificent cathedral.  French kings have come to Reims for coronations since before the cathedral was begun in 1211, twenty-five in all.  The history of the site goes back, as everything here seems to, to Roman and early-Christian days.  The Cathedral is an early example of the use of slender “flying buttress,” which allow for tall, open windows that provide light for the interior, while still supporting the heavy roof.  We just finished Sydney Sheldon’s Pillars of the Earth and think he may have used Reims as the model for his fictional cathedral.

Architecture aside (all the gargoyles are animals) the most striking features are the three stained-glass windows created by Marc Chagall in 1974.  We admired other Chagall glass at the Hadassah Hospital in Jerusalem but these are even more impressive.  For a Jew he does Christian really well!

We spent Tuesday night in a place that reminded me of our stay in Paris in 2001.  Our rooms at Le Central also had narrow winding stairways and the toilet was down the hall.  But is cost only $40 not 51 euros!  And we had to pay 11 euros more to park.  But we had a nice dinner nearby.  We have been sharing both salad and mains – they are too big and too expensive for one.

More driving, more detours and more scenery today, but this time in the rain.  We haven’t seen much sunshine in a week.  The church in Provins dates back to 200 AD and by the looks of them, so do many of the houses.  No two walls are parallel, nothing is plum and we didn’t see a horizontal line.  You would have to drink a lot of wine to put Provins in perspective!  The nearby medieval town is also right out of Pillars of the Earth. Like Carcassonne, Provins is a World Heritage Site but unlike Carcassonne, Provins was a market town, open to the public. The annual wool fair was pioneer in international trade.  The streets are wide and straight, the walls aren’t as formidable and there is no keep. 

 

About vagabonds

Connie and John at Machu Pichu

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about France

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.