Existing Member?

Where ARE We? Kent & Anna retire and travel the world

Queen Charlotte Drive

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 22 January 2014 | Views [224]

Now that we're in Marlborough (our last stop in NZ – WINE country!), we took a trip along Queen Charlotte Drive, mimicking a tour we made on our 2005 trip. We stopped in Havelock to check bread in the bakery, but they still didn't have any that we wanted. The drive was just as magical as we remembered with the road ducking in and around the coastline. Clouds began creeping in to filter the sunshine and we were able to get some good photos. However, we talked about coming back in the late afternoon or evening so that we could get a different lighting on the landscapes. The drive is short in distance (only about 40 km from Havelock to Picton), but it takes about an hour since speed is limited to 50 kph for most of the route. Plus, you have to stop every few km to take in the different aspect of the Sounds. So, our trip today took about 2 hours. But some of that time was spent in a pottery studio just outside of Havelock. We FINALLY found some coffee mugs that we liked – as a bonus, they were reasonably priced! We're really looking forward to the up close and personal views available on the Pelorus Mail Boat tour – Kent sent in a booking request for this Friday (24 Jan) so that we could tour the Outer Sounds.

 

About taylortreks

Kent & Anna

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.