Existing Member?

Where ARE We? Kent & Anna retire and travel the world

Museum of Transport and Technology (MOTAT)

NEW ZEALAND | Friday, 20 September 2013 | Views [187]

We rested up after our trip to the Northland and waited  for the rainy weather to ease up just a bit. After  searching for activities in Auckland and its surrounding  areas, we decided to visit the Museum of Transport and  Technology (MOTAT; http://www.motat.org.nz). Our GPS was  confused about where the MOTAT site was, so we ended up  using Kent's smartphone to navigate through the twisty  Auckland streets (which are NOT laid out in the grid  pattern familiar to us in the West!).

We arrived at the main MOTAT site just before noon and  had a quick lunch in the cafe before taking a gander of  the Sir Edmund Hillary trek to the South Pole. We caught  a trolley that took us from the main MOTAT site to the  aviation site. The trolley conductor operates the car  just as they did for inner city transport -- the trolley  line even has its own stoplight where it crosses a  roadway.

The aviation exhibits were great! The emphasis was on  airplanes that had flown in New Zealand, both military  and civilian. We could have spent several hours just  wandering through the huge gallery, but we had agreed to  take the Rail Tour. Of course, our first question for  Bruce (our tour guide) was "Why is there a Rail Tour in  the Aviation Exhibit?" Bruce explained that he and others  use the warehouses on site (behind the Aviation Museum)  for restoration of rail cars and locomotives. Bruce is a  carpenter and restores the wooden portions of the rail  cars (sides, seats, window frames, etc.). Most of the  exposed portions are made with kauri (the largest trees  in New Zealand) while the seats are generally made with  rimu. He also showed us a piece of purpleheart (the most  dense wood in the world; http://www.wood- database.com/lumber- identification/hardwoods/purpleheart), which they use  where the trains need really strong support. They also  have a shop to mill the metal pieces for the engines and  other metal parts. They're quite self-sufficient in their  shops – by necessity – since they use traditional  techniques (e.g., attaching metal pieces with rivets  rather than welding them together). It's quite an  operation!

Bruce kept us captivated for 2 hours and we barely had  time to catch the return trolley back to the main site  and retrive our trusty station wagon. The final irony of  the visit was that we took the motorway back to our  Auckland flat -- the trip out took about 45 minutes (with  much discussion about the shortcomings of our GPS) while  the return trip took 12 minutes. As our friend Judy likes  to say, "Technologeeeeeeeeee!"

 

About taylortreks

Kent & Anna

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.