Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Hellfire Pass

THAILAND | Friday, 15 February 2008 | Views [3874] | Comments [7]

Death Valley Railway, Kanchanaburi

Death Valley Railway, Kanchanaburi

So in the afternoon, we drove up to see Hellfire pass, which is one of the deepest rock cuttings that the POW's had to make to complete the Thailand-Burma rail line in 1942-5

Having seen the museum already, this really nailed home the mammoth task that these poor people had to complete as they literally picked a way through the solid rock!

After this morning I was feeling pretty tired in the knees and we had to make a serious descent to get into the pass... on the way back up I counted those steps, there isn't much else to do apart from listen to your own breathing! I counted 340 up the hillside... (I took this picture from 220! ;)

We moved on to a railway station nearby and waited for the train that we were going to take along the death valley railway. When it rolled in we could see that it was packed! I managed to blag a spot at the end of the carraige, near the open door, which turned out to be a good spot, as I could really appreciate just how bad this transport was, lol!! The carraiges bounced really high producing loud metalic banging noises from the chassis... none of the school kids on board batted an eyelid, so clearly this was everyday transport! I took a short video of the gap between the carraiges and then out of the door, down the track. It turned out quite good, but I've yet to upload it anywhere. I'll try and suss that out with my other short vids when I find a faster uploading internet cafe!

After this we went to see the bridge over the River Kwai, which I'd seen under my own steam yesterday. I did meet a young postgrad Brit here though who is just starting out on a round the world trip himself, so it was cool to have a natter.

After a really well earned cold shower back at my room I went out to eat and upload my photo's etc. My stomach is in full blown 'gotcha' mode, so I am trying to avoid fatty foods, which isn't that easy here. It's either Yam salad (which is yum!) or whatever you can improvise. I found a place called No Name Bar near my resort which serves up 'genuine' bangers and mash, so I gave it a try. Turned out to be really good... two big grilled sausages that you would be forgiven for mistaking as British and proper mashes potato! They provide a nice onion gravy too... Result!

I stayed here for a bit and had a few beers, plus a good chat with a local girl. I made the mistake of asking her if "she worked here?", meaning somewhere along this resort, to which she replied that she was not that kind of girl, thinking I was asking if she was one of the many 'bar girls'. Doh! We both understood each other though, it was pretty obvious that she wasn't one of those as her opening line wasn't "hey sexy mister", or words to that general effect, lol! Turns out she is a bit of a traveler herself having been all over Asia and Australia. She remarked also that English people understand her English much better than Aussies and Americans... no idea why that is, maybe we pay more attention? ;)

Anyhoo, this afternoon I am going to the Tiger temple. This places causes much mixed feeling amongst travelers and locals, but I thought seeing as I am here it would be a waste to not see for myself. If I boycott it, they will hardly notice will they! ;) I've been instructed to not wear red, orange or pink, or any perfume! I can't tell if I'm nervous or not...

Hopefully I should have some pretty cool pictures to post later!

Pending my survival I shall be catching some FA cup footy tonight in the No Name Bar and maybe sampling some of their other culinary delights.

Laters!

Sloggs :)

Tags: history, sightseeing, walking

Comments

1

You must be fit as a flea after all the up and down stuff you've been doing!!!!

  Jo Feb 17, 2008 2:05 AM

2

How is the burning ring of fire?

  mum Feb 17, 2008 3:45 AM

3

I'm not fit, I'm knackered, Lol!

The ring is not on fire, but is not behaved... I now have mild stomach cramps starting, brill!

Ah well... I'll live :)

  sl0ggs Feb 17, 2008 3:55 AM

4

You appear to be having a fine time, thoroughly enjoying the blog. BTW Sir Alec said Doh!! too, just before it all went pete tong.

  Don Feb 18, 2008 6:48 AM

5

Bet you sounded like a veteran traveller to the postgrad student!
That is one cool railway journey.
BTW have you been having Yakult? you can buy it for bout 7p there and should help some avoidance of stomach upset!

  Annah Feb 23, 2008 9:13 PM

6

Gday Slogg
just after some info on your time in Thailand and most of all Hellfire pass? can you suggest the best and cheapest way to get there without going through the normal (over priced) tour groups? is it best to hire a car or motorbike? or just bite the bullet and pay what they ask?
OH? and as an Aussie I will try and pay attention when speaking to the local shelias? LOL

  Bernie Jun 10, 2010 9:53 PM

7

Gday Bernie. Wow, nice that my blog is still getting hits after all this time... it reminds me to go travelling!!! ;)

I organised my trip there through the hostel I stayed in, and it was basically a local man and his pickup truck which took about 8 passengers. Good price, nice fella and gave us plenty of time at the pass. Also you could just hire pretty much anyone with a moped to be honest, lol! Once I got there I just pleased myself and also spent a bit of time lurking near a proper paying tour, listening in to some of the facts... :)

My trip was a while ago however, so check out the tour prices. If you find one of the well recommended hostels, they'll help you out...

Have a good trip mate!
Sloggs :)

  sl0ggs Jun 10, 2010 10:39 PM

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.