Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Erawan falls

THAILAND | Friday, 15 February 2008 | Views [3336] | Comments [2]

Erawan falls, Kanchanaburi

Erawan falls, Kanchanaburi

I toyed with the idea of hiring a moped or using the standard bus to go to see Erawan falls today, but in the end plumped for a tour package. Once we arrived at the falls, it was clear that this was a much better choice, as the standard bus stops at the national park entrance, and it would have been another 4k walk to get to the falls, never mind the jungle hill trek to see them!

I used a firm called Good Times which is close to where I stay, they are recommended in the rough guide and someone I met in Bangkok said they were very good. I can certainly recommend them, the tour was very well run with a good English speaking guide. They also gave me a discount after I produced a brochure from one of their competitors with the same tour 100B cheaper. I got a discount for the Tiger temple on saturday too as I booked it at the same time... good start!

The minibus ride was fairly uneventful apart from meeting a cool Dutch couple.

Once we'd arrived we had a brief description of the falls and set off to see them. I'd only gone for the half day, partly because I'd swam in some falls already, and partly because I wanted to fit some other things into the day.

The falls are the biggest and (the locals claim) the most beautiful in Kanchanaburi. They are split over 7 tiers with the top three being tricky to walk to. It rained early this morning, which meant the ground was wet already and the canopy was dripping and very humid. I decided that since I was here I'd go for it and see the top falls. I had my boots on and a change of shirt and towel, so was ready for this!

It turned out to be quite a tough near 3 hours, climbing over roots and rocks and up some well dodgy make shift steps and passes. In the end I think it was worth the effort, the pools up top are beautiful.

In each pool there are hundreds of catfish waiting at the edge... I think they must have fun enducing squeals from the people who get in when they have their toes nibbled, lol! Some of these fish in the bottom pool were pretty big, easily measuring in at near two feet long.

I was glad I made the effort to wear boots, I saw so many people struggling and slipping in flip flops up there... muppets!

I also met some pretty miserable gits today... what is with these europeans! I waited at the bottom of some slippery steps at one point, and waved down about 6 people... not one of them said thanks or even offered an appreciative nod! As a complete contrast, when you run into an Aussie or Thai person, they are super friendly and polite (and most Brits are ok too to be fair). There were more pissy Euro's on the minibus to Hellfire pass too, who didn't want the aircon on cos they have a cough! Eight other people were cramming in here, having just walked up and down the falls for two and a half hours! This was the first time I felt the need to exert some authority on my trip. No way was this cock taking over... cough on cougher, cough on!! :<

We had some lunch, and I changed my shirt (result!) and we set off to see Hellfire pass...

Tags: adventures, walking

Comments

1

Sounds like quite an climb!

  Jo Feb 17, 2008 2:01 AM

2

cough on....

made me smile

awesome trip mate, envious!

  Stuart Hutcheson Feb 21, 2008 8:51 PM

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.