Existing Member?

Sloggs' Travel Blog A journal of my travels in 2008 & beyond...

Tiger Temple

THAILAND | Saturday, 16 February 2008 | Views [19322] | Comments [5]

Me and a cub at Tiger Temple!

Me and a cub at Tiger Temple!

Today I visited the tiger temple in Kanchanaburi, where the Monks have taken in rescue tigers from the wild (orphans of poaching mostly) and created a breeding program and sanctuary for them. They are currently fund raising to build a bigger and more natural complex for the young cubs, in order to ready them for a natural habitat ready for reintroduction to the wild to help the population expand...

We didn't have much time there unfortunately, but were in time to see them in the exercise area and have photos with them. Having seen these animals first hand, and reading the thoughts of some ex volunteers, it is clear that these animals are very well cared for and are most certainly not drugged in any way for photo sessions. They also have not had their claws or teeth clipped!! These are hand reared tigers who are simply used to human contact and are therefore not threatened by us, and in the hot afternoons, after lunch, they just want to sleep or roll around in the dust, must like their domestic cousins.

It is quite a nice experience to get up close to these animals, it was also funny to watch several people take a run for cover when the tigers moved, or in one case when the tiger roared its disapproval, lol!

The cubs were very playful by the time I got there, and so were being distracted from 'playing' with the visitors with balls to play with and water being squirted at them, which they really enjoyed.

The big one rolled over onto me when I was having my picture with him
and the guide was quick to pull me out of the way, but nothing felt dangerous, he was just rolling in the dirt. Still, I'd rather not be in the way of those claws!

Because we were there so late, we had to wait for the tigers to be walked back to their enclosure, which gave us the chance (if individuals wanted to) to walk with the big lad and the main Monk at the sanctuary. We had to walk on the left flank and make sure we had firm contact with the tiger with our hand, just so that he knew we were there and all was normal. With one girl in tow he stopped to have a piss, all over her!! Lol, genius from the lad... ;)

It was a nice visit, and very good to see for myself that this place is nothing but good for the tiger numbers in the wild here, and that they look after the permanent residents they have.

Just as we were leaving and the tigers were safely housed, they sounded a hooter which signaled all the other species of animals to come running from outside the complex and from the corners of the main complex to eat... I wonder how many of these end up as tiger dinner? ;)

Footy, beer and a hearty post-tiger feed is required tonight!! Chuurs Sloggs :)

Check my photo's out on photobucket for more. I might add some more from the tiger photos tomorrow once I've reviewed them more thoroughly. :)

Tags: adrenaline, animals

Comments

1

The photo's look amazing! Must of been an awesome experience! Mum will be soooo jealous!! (glad they didn't eat you)
x x

  Jo Feb 17, 2008 2:18 AM

2

I am!. Soooo very jealous !! glad you didnt smell good enough to be eaten and they didnt go for the throat!! must have been the treaking!!

  mum Feb 17, 2008 3:34 AM

3

that is super cool i wish i can go to the tiger like you i love tigers do you they are the coolest animal on the world to me right me back

  cjm Sep 10, 2008 8:33 AM

4

Hi! - I've just googelt 'Tiger Tempel' - I'm going there this summer! Now I'm very exited! :) Nice picture

  Emilie May 10, 2009 2:51 AM

5

I was looking online for pics of tigers and found yours. How did you find this trip? Was it a package? Just something for me to save up for. I absolutely love tigers!!! :)

  Kmilkdud Dec 20, 2010 12:13 PM

About sl0ggs

Me with the kids at Cawaro Village School during the Vitika Trek

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.