Existing Member?

Romodessey

Trondheim

NORWAY | Thursday, 10 July 2008 | Views [426]

view of harbourfront from pedestrian bridge

view of harbourfront from pedestrian bridge

Not terribly much to say about Trondheim. I got the feeling most people just pass on through it. It was pleasant enough though – a lot of parks and a nice trendy harbour-front. It actually reminded me of Christchurch.

I pretty much just wandered around and spent most of my “tourist time” at the main sight – the cathedral. The cathedral building was started in 1070, over Saint Olav's grave, and added on to (up until 1300) as more and more pilgrims came to drink from the spring next to the grave (which would cure all ills) and as the church's status got upgraded to “cathedral” (when the first Norwegian arch-bishop moved in). Though the spring is dried up now you can see that the stone around it is blackened and smoothed from from all the pilgrims touching it over the years. You can really feel the history! There are still marks there from the various stone-masons that built the place too.


They have done a pretty amazing job reconstructing and preserving the cathedral – a chunk of it was destroyed after the “reformation” from Catholic to protestant and the church never had the money to rebuild it after that. When the government finally did decide to fix it they had to go around reclaiming pieces of the building from local houses (medieval recycling) to figure out what it originally would have looked like. Not that you can tell now. I still find it hard to imagine such a complex building having been built in the first place – given the lack of technology around in 1070! It really humbles you.


It's fair to say I was pleasantly surprised by the cathedral and deem it to be worth the 50nkk to get in. I was there right on time for the organ recital too. Not normally my thing but the organ they have there is baroque style (from the 1700's) and one of only 3 of the type in the world that can still be played. Apparently organists the world over fight for their chance to play on it.

 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.