Existing Member?

Romodessey

Awestruck in Å

NORWAY | Tuesday, 8 July 2008 | Views [2006] | Comments [3]

Firstly, to bask in my clever title i should explain - Å is pronounced 'aw”. I think “awestruck” is more or less the best world to describe how you feel in Lofoten and Å is a museum-piece example of a typical 1900's Lofoten fishing village – LITERALLY. The youth hostel is located within the Museum town of Å. My room was above the bakery (a real, working oldschool bakery), complete with the torturously good smells that come with it. Mmmm i can still taste the delicious cinnamon buns...

It was weird staying in a town that wasn't really a town – all it had was a few residential homes, a corner store-style grocery shop and the rest was all either museum or accommodation (or a combination of both). Most of the other people i met were tourists or guys who had come to Lofoten for a week of pure fishing – you could head out in the evenings and watch the guys bring in their catch (that was like Lofoten's version of must-see tv). The receptionist of the hostel was telling us that the locals have to travel for an hour and a half if they want to see a movie or do some shopping, and even then the movies are months behind. Must be a really isolated life.

On the first evening there i couldn't see anything much else to do but enjoy the scenery so i headed out to take some snapshots and bumped into another camera-wielding hosteller – Dave. Dave had driven all the way to Lofoten from Jersey (UK). That is one hell of a long drive! He had no other choice though as he is a dialysis patient and had to carry his heavy machine with him. Was good to meet someone to “see the sights” with.

The next day me and Dave went and “did” the only tourist sight A has to offer – the museum. Despite living in the damn place we still had to fork out 50nkk for the fluoro yellow stickers to “get into” the museum. After walking through a grand total of only 6 buildings with any kind of exhibitions in them, all of which you could easily just stroll in to (no-one checking tickets), we deemed ourselves to have been royally ripped off (being a Sunday there weren't even any guided tours) and went off to another town to do some fjord cruising instead.

The ferry cruise round the Reinesfjord (fjord a couple of towns down from A) exposed me and Dave to yet more absolutely spectacular scenery. The ferry services a couple of “towns” on the fjord all of which are picturesquely quaint. One “village” only had one building in total. A couple of hikers got off there with the intention of walking to A. They said it so nonchalantly but the only way i could see of doing that was scaling a very imposing sheer cliff face of a mountain! What some people will do for fun!?!

The area would be absolutely amazing to hike through though. It's on my to-do list.

That evening – after meeting up with Chistiana and Tanya again (they had been in another part of Lofoten for a night) – we had a home-cooked meal of fresh fish (bought from a bunch of German guys who were at the end of their week long fishing trip), vege, potato mash and udon noodles with bok chuy (Dave's contribution). The hostel made the mistake of leaving all the keys to the unoccupied rooms in the doors so we were using a total of 3 kitchenettes to cook the meal – hee hee.

Comments

1

It's actually difficult to sit here at my desk reading your posts - what with the miserable weather outside plus grim office lighting - and picture all the amazing scenery and not want to book a flight to Europe *right now*. I'm strongly considering taking a trip overseas again next year (since I'm getting enough of a buzz thinking about Vancouver as it is), and your homeland seems like the perfect option. Of course, I probably won't fit in quite as well as you, and I'll need to save many, many $$.

  Jeremy Jul 9, 2008 7:58 AM

2

Funny, Im planning another trip to lofoten for next month, and I have to look for dialysis centres this time, as Im on hospital dialysis and found this entry on google.! Funny! I hope you are well and enjoying yourself ! Cheers

Daveip@hotmail.com

  dave ip Jul 10, 2011 11:48 PM

3

Hi Dave
I hope you can find a dialysis centre near Lofoten! We had some good times there...I had no idea my journal was so "googleable" :)

  Romy Jul 11, 2011 10:50 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.