Existing Member?

Romodessey

28 June: From Narvik to Lofoten – Pilgrimage to the Holy Grail of scenery

NORWAY | Tuesday, 8 July 2008 | Views [3604]

First i should say - there are not enough superlatives in the world to adequately describe the Lofoten Islands' beauty. Even the word “beauty” seems so deficient.

Suffice it to say – the bus trip from Narvik to A (in the lofoten islands) was easily the best bus trip i've ever had. We (i was with Christiana and Tanya a German-Canadian mother and daughter team) started out with small 'wows' and a few half-hearted attempts to snap pictures from the bus windows. Within 20minutes of leaving Narvik (which is actually a very cute town too) we were running from one side of the bus to the other – jostling to get the best possible angle to catch the scenery. The problem was – it was coming at us from every angle! Out every window. Every time the bus turned a corner you could not help but to crane your neck to see what stunning scenery would be revealed.

Everything from craggy mountains embellished with snow patches and waterfalls to crystal clear, green, blue and purple sparkling fjords. Accompanied by pristine lakes, churning rivers, iridescently green meadows studded with wildflowers and postcard perfect cute villages complete with brightly coloured, hut-like houses and quaint rowboats tethered in sheltered harbours.

By the end of the 8h trip (i had to travel straight from Narvik to Å, the last stop on the one road in Lofoten, to get to my hostel) i think i was actually exhausted from all the beauty.


i know i'm gushing and sounding all tourist propogandaish – but if you actually go there you will understand that what i've described is still understating the appeal of the area. Check out the photos and see for yourselves – even though they are taken from a bus window (complete with reflections and distortions) they are still among the best pictures i have from this trip.

Oh yeah – i should add – Lofoten really did remind me of New Zealand. It is similar to Milford Sound (from what i've seen in pictures) – except for all the cute fishing villages and all the northern hemisphere vegetation and animals (including very loud and strange looking sea gulls - with 24hr light they don't sleep either).

 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.