Existing Member?

Romodessey

Day trip to St Goar - Rhine Valley and KD boat ride

GERMANY | Sunday, 15 June 2008 | Views [3849] | Comments [4]

St Goar street

St Goar street

After getting back to Koblenz from Köln - I decided to head to one of the picture-perfect, castle-clad villages i had seen the previous day. I chose St Goar cos it wasn't too far away and i could catch the KD boat (free with Eurail pass) back to Koblenz for yet more scenic-overload.

St Goar was exactly how i had invisaged it from the train. Gorgeous few rows of 3 story half-timbered and other European-style houses (ok i'm not clued up with the architectural lingo - just look at the pics when i post them) and shops complete with pots of geraniums and grape vines. Cafes and restaurants spilling out into the sunny streets al fresco syle (you know the sort).

Beautiful - apart from the chaos of linguistic pollution from the myriad of tour groups swarming the place. There was even a group of tweeny-boppers from the UK (i mean what an awesome fieldtrip!). Must be a common occurence in St Goar cos every single shopkeeper there broke into English without a second thought when approached by anyone weilding a camera.

Tweeny-boppers and other tour groups joined me on the boat but the trip was actually very peaceful. 2 hours of lounging about on a boat eating ice-cream (this after my dinner of the rare German delicacy - doner kebab, apparently the take-away of choice in Germany), drifting past uber-cute villages and medieval castles - not bad really.

Only down-side was the lack of public transport back to the hostel once i got back - but you learn to live with that as part of the backpacking experience.

Comments

1

St Goar eh! Wish I could see it in the summer! It was a pretty sleepy little town when me and Rach were there - no action going on at Ne Years except for the local thugs letting off their fireworks in our direction - hahaha

  Mel Jun 16, 2008 10:30 AM

2

We have two days and could not decide on Koln or the St Goar area. Are there any half day boat rides that take you from Koln to St Goar/Bacharach and back to Koln.

  Joy May 22, 2011 1:27 PM

3

Hi Joy

I had 2 days in the area. Stayed in Koblenz and took a day trip to Koln on the train one day and a boat trip to St Goar on the other day...this works really well if you have a Eurail pass as the KD line boats are free. Doesn't look like boats run frequently to-from Koln but you would at least be able to do a day-trip. Half-day would probably work better with train/boat combo. I have only checked the KD schedule though, other boat companies might do a half-day tour. KD has a day pass you can buy - see link below:


http://www.kdrhine.com/rhineschedule.htm

  romsterrom May 23, 2011 10:32 AM

4

St Goar is tiny so you don't need long there - but there are a ton of other river-side villages that the boats stop at. Koln will take a bit more time especially if you want to climb the daunting cathedral bell tower...I like Koblenz too - stayed in a castle (HI hostel) overlooking the town.

  romsterrom May 23, 2011 10:34 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.