Existing Member?

Romodessey

Trier 11 June

GERMANY | Sunday, 15 June 2008 | Views [547] | Comments [1]

Porta Nigra

Porta Nigra

Didn't really see all that much of Trier as i got in late afternoon (after yet another scenic trip along the Moselle River). The hostel was really cute with Ikea bunks and pretty coloured walls. The outside building was a picturesque half-timbered affair, the only one on the street which made it nice and easy to find your way back to.

Did visit the obligatory Porta Nigra (Roman gate to the city which is still in remarkable good nick) but decided to avoid the over-priced museum so i didn't get to learn much about it. Trier has a similar Roman era history to Nimes – it even has an amphitheatre (but that was way too far for me to walk to) and aquaducts. The rest of my afternoon there pretty much consisted of trying to locate a supermarket (a failure). You don't realise just how hard it will be to find the sundry necessities when you are coming into a different town every couple of days. I will never take Pak'n'save and the Warehouse for granted again!

met another kiwi girl at the hostel (an ex girl racer from Christchurch – small world!) – my first kiwi this trip! All the other English speakers I've met have been Canadians or Australians or clever multi-lingual Europeans.

She had just returned from a bus tour of Egypt which sounded very interesting. Apparently it was around 40 degrees the whole time though and there are even humid areas of Egypt!!!. Not really something i would enjoy – though would be cool to see the pyramids e.t.c.

Comments

1

Internet cafe? What about ASUS EeePC? Thought he will make live easier ....

  Cornel Jun 16, 2008 8:03 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.