Existing Member?

Romodessey

Nimes

NEW ZEALAND | Monday, 2 June 2008 | Views [958] | Comments [3]

Having a great time in Nimes - this hostel is really awesome.  Lovely staff and excellent new facilities.  Am in a dorm room (12 E per night) with other single travellers which has worked out great.  Spent today with Jess (an Aussie), Claire (from the states studying in strasbourg) and Cordula (from Suisse near Zurich).  All very nice people.  Consequently i have added another night in Nimes and will leave Tuesday morning.
 
We spent the day catching all of Nimes`s sights - Jardin Fontaine (a gorgeous botanical garden with Roman temples, fountains and statues scattered all over the place) which is right next to the hostel (makes the hike up the hill worth it); a Roman tower (Tour Magne)from which there is a panorama over the whole town including a map which caused us some confusion - wasn`t til later we saw the 2 a.d. date; a superb amphitheatre ( the best preserved one in the world) complete with audioguides giving an extensive history of the area mostly gladiator related; and a very well preserved Roman theatre (complete with 3D film)which looks a little weird right across from the glass and steel art gallery - a pity most of the forum was distroyed.  -
Had a nice cheap lunch ( salad and an apricot croissant - yes it was delicious Seren) and finished off with coffee and dessert in a cafe - i had quite possibly the smallest cafe au lait in the world and quite possibly the biggest créme brulee in the world (like the one from Indochine).  Cordula had just finished learning French in Antibes for 8 weeks and Jess was skilled in French so we had no trouble being understood.  Very handy!
No frog legs or snails yet though Seren though my travel colleagues had had both and would recommend frog legs but not escargot.  Creme brulee is excellent though ( thought of you Sue).
Ok must go research train connections from here to Chamonix
Au Revoir

Comments

1

YUM...Brulee...stick to that, it is bound to be better than frog! Glad you have meet some nice people to sightsee with. Keep up the good work!

  seren Jun 2, 2008 6:57 PM

2

Good to hear you are enjoying all the sights and befriending fellow travelers! My mate Mark will be visiting from Auckland this weekend, I don't know if you've met him? Anyhoo, we're finishing off preparations for our trip in August. Getting pretty close now...

Profitez des gourmandises locales! (No, I don't know much French, I'm cheating with teh intarwebs)

  Jeremy Jun 3, 2008 9:58 AM

3

CREME BRULEE! why did i have to read that post right before going off for lunch - soggy marmite and lettuce sammies - Yuk! That's it, I'm going to be thinking about creme brulee for days now. What can I say I'm a greedy pig that obsesses over food. It's sunny here now, not too cold yet. Betty hasn't frozen over yet!

  Sue Thompson Jun 4, 2008 10:42 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.