Existing Member?

Romodessey

Annecy - Venice of the Alps

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 4 June 2008 | Views [984] | Comments [3]

Hi All

Writing this from Annecy - a town in the French Alps.  Chamonix didn`t end up having any rooms free so i settled on the HI hostel here.  Quite a hike up a confusing hill but it has a great view for all of that.  Am sharing a room with 2 guys (a first as all the other hostels had segregated dorms)- one from Marseille and one from Bilbao in Spain (he is cycling from Bilbao to Instanbul - crazy).  Conversation is amusing as the Marseillian speaks no English, luckily the Bilbaon does.

Annecy is a gorgeous town with a network of canals that i guess give it the name Venice of the Alps.  The old town is filled with a warren of alleyways formed by gorgeous old buildings.  Add to that a liberal pinch of icecream shops, creperies and chocolatiers and of course a castle or too, oh and a stunning clear lake and you have Annecy.  They also have a modern library cum animation art gallery. Annecy hosts a film festival focusing on animation (regrettably it starts next week though) every year.  Sadly it has been raining here since last night so i won`t be able to get any pics with the sun shining. 

Am heading out tomorrow morning via train to Chamonix/Mt Blanc and then on to Martiny (Switzerland) qnd overnight in Bern.  Will be a long day i think.

Comments

1

Hi, glad to hear your having a great time, im so jealous, by the way ive got a couple of books here that, he he only joking. take care, see you not so soon. Darren.

  Darren Jun 5, 2008 8:19 AM

2

Have a care Romy, you know what they say about those Marseille-types. They're, erm, not very good at English... and they snore heavily? Yeah...

We're heading for some rough weather this weekend if the forecast is to be believed, maybe even snow. I really like snow, but no-one else here seems fond of it very much...

  Jeremy Jun 6, 2008 9:34 AM

3

Scare bleu Romy je suis JEALOUS!!!! Rain or no rain - sounds like a fab spot - I am hanging out to see pics!
Good luck with the next bit of travelling, and be sure to eat a whole bunch of cheese for me! :-)

  Eve Jun 6, 2008 10:43 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.