Existing Member?

Romodessey

From Lofoten to Tronheim (reluctantly)

NORWAY | Thursday, 10 July 2008 | Views [948]

I was sad to leave Lofoten behind but managed to drag myself to the ferry terminal in Moskenes to catch the ferry back to the mainland (to a town called Bodo). Ferry ride was nice – sunny, beautiful scenery and there was a kiwi-style barbeque on one of the decks where i got a delish hotdog (frankfurter was wrapped in bacon).

Bodo was actually a surprisingly nice town and i was sorry to just be passing through. Had several hours to kill before my night train to Trondheim so i managed to wander through a bit of it. The harbourfront was done up really nicely and swarming with locals picnicing and enjoying the sun (i don't think they get much of it up there).


The night-train from Bodo-Trondheim was an “interesting” experiment in trying to sleep in near impossible surrounding. Because there was nowhere at the train station for me to reserve a sleeper (bed on the train) i had to 'sleep” sitting up the whole way in the non-existent darkness, with increasingly nocturnal people getting on at each stop (several of which were having loud cellphone conversations) . And then, because part of the line was closed, they made us all get up at 5am and get on a bus and then another train! Sleep didn't really happen.

To top all that off – the bus driver in Trondheim dropped me off at totally the wrong stop for my hostel and i ended up lugging my stuff up over a hill and took the better part of 1/2h to reach the hostel (i'd actually have been better off and 30nkk in pocket just walking from the beginning). On the plus side – i did manage to walk past the very cool castle/fort on top of the hill- saving me the climb on the next day.


 

 

Travel Answers about Norway

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.