Existing Member?

Romodessey

Exit from Paris

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 28 May 2008 | Views [547] | Comments [6]

Hi all.  Had quite possibly one of the worst days of my life yesterday.  Flight into Paris was long but otherwise fine - no english-speaking fellow passengers near me this time.  was seated in amongst an asian tour group.

Managed to get myself in to Gare de Lyon in the heart of Paris where the goal was to locate some accomodation and crash for the day to get over the jet lag.  The next few hours were pure hell.  It turns out all Paris was simply booked out.  No accomodation to be had anywhere.  Desperate i made my way to a hostel-booking service in the pouring rain carrying my pack.  Only to find it an empty store.  Got a quick glance at the Pompidou Centre and then went off to find internet cafes to try and book a hotel or something.  Ended up spending a considerable amount of euros all to no avail.

At about 5pm i gave up and decided to up and leave.  I picked something close so i could still get in an early night so Dijon was it.  Nice train ride here - very green flat countryside.  Checked into a no star hotel close to the train station and at least got a good night`s sleep (grr hate european keyboards that`s why the pronunciation is all stuffed up in this). 

Walked around Dijon aimlessly this morning - it is a very pretty town with a ton of cool buildings. Just wish i could`ve been a bit more relaxed.

Am trying now to book accomodation in Lyon - no joy on the net so i guess i will have to buy a phone card and try the phone booking way.

Sorry for the negative spiel

Romy 

Comments

1

Heads up, Europe is a challange, and yes, it starts with simple things like ....computer keyboards; every country has it's own layout, you will be THE keyboard expert once you made your tour ;-)

  Cornel May 28, 2008 9:43 PM

2

Hi Romy,

What a brave little traveller you are! Hope you find a bunk in Lyon without too much fuss. We are all hanging out for Queen's Birthday weekend here. Seren has been off colour and still battling that research project. Jack slid down a bit of Arthurs Pass and hurt his ankle but he hobbled back to work yesterday. Take care and thinking of you.

V

  Victoria May 29, 2008 6:13 AM

3

Well, you certainly made the most of an unfortunate situation, I would never have thought of leaving town altogether to try another area! Hope the rest of your accommodation is procured without nearly as much hassle, and that you get some time to take in the sights and sounds (and food, glorious food)!

  Jeremy May 29, 2008 6:38 AM

4

Poor you...
Surely the pastries have had a chance to kick in by now...Their buttery goodness will make everything better!
Take you. Will be checking in on you regularly.
S :)

  seren May 29, 2008 11:45 AM

5

Only a week in and you've had so many adventures already! Already you've probably clocked up enough cool party stories to last you another ten years! I can only imagine how different it all is for you, I'm sorry about the dramas but one day you'll look back on them and think they added to the adventure. I hope you find a good place to stay - have some cream brulee for me!! :)

  Little Sue May 30, 2008 10:42 AM

6

For help finding and booking a bed in Paris, go to the info centre under the pyramid in the Louvre; the helpful staff (yes, in Paris!) do it for you. Come up from the subway station underneath to avoid the queues at ground level. Wish I'd thought to tell you last week...

  Kim May 30, 2008 8:23 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.