Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Australian Open

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 14 January 2010 | Views [469]

The Australian Open is about to begin and all the big hitters are in town warming up. Since the tournament doesn’t start for a couple of days, Roger Federer decides to club together with a few other stars and put together a fundraiser for Haiti.

Haiti was hit by a massive and devastating earthquake on 12th Jan and desperately needs help. So Federer created Hit for Haiti, a friendly exhibition match between some of the best tennis players in the world.

We went to Rod Laver Arena and paid $10 each to watch this amazing match. The Stadium was packed and the atmosphere was great. We all cheered when Serena, Nadal, Roddick, Federer, Djokovic and Clijsters took to the court playing in doubles and sometimes triples. It was great to see them up close and joking around..who knew they were so funny?

The start of the Open brings with it a great atmosphere to Melbourne. The weather is sunny and hot (sometimes a little too hot) and there are always people in Federation Square watching a match or two on the big screen. We get general admission tickets one day and this gives us access to all the outside courts. Sometimes you can see some of the big players if it's early enough in the competition. We get to see Kuznetsova Vs Li in the women's singles and then catch a men's doubles match. I don’t know any of the players but I'm told if you’re into tennis you do…anyway it’s a good day out. If we’re here next year we’ll get tickets to the main courts.

Hit for Haiti

Hit for Haiti

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.