Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Last days in Fiji

FIJI | Tuesday, 21 July 2009 | Views [622]

July 18: We're back on the mainland for a couple days and we've heard the Coral Coast has really nice beaches. Plus we want to see the capital; Suva.

We've missed the tourist bus so the next best option is a local bus for the 3 hour journey. Its a little cramped and a kid is sick in the aisle, but other than that it's a pretty scenic journey. 

The hotel we stay at looks nice and our bure is big with great views of the ocean. The only down side is the rain, it's been pouring all day. We book a tour to Suva and hope the sun'll come out tomorrow. 

July 19: The trip to the nation's capital is pleasant. We have an interesting guide who tells us all about Fijian history and serenades us with his guitar. Once in the city we all go our separate ways and we decide to visit the Fijian Museum and do a bit of shopping in a dodgy market. 

When we get back to our hotel we find that our room has been cleaned but there is what looks like a mouse dropping on one of the pillows. We're told its probably from one of the iguanuas that walk across the ceiling beams. Well we don't want to spend another night in this room with the possiblity of iguanuas pooing on our heads. We switch to a new room, only to find this one is covered in tiny ants, that have already managed to invade all our stuff. We decide its time to leave this place. It's about 10pm when we get to a new hotel. The room is vermin and ant free, from what we can see...and we enjoy a seafood dinner in our room as the restaurant has shut. 

July 20: It's pouring again today. Looks like were not going to get to enjoy the Coral Coast beaches. We decide to pack up and head back to Nadi. No need to pay extra money to stay at a beach resort when the weather insists on being disagreeable. Luckily another couple is heading that way and we manage to get a lift in their cab which saves us from having to deal with the public buses again.

July 21: On our last day in Nadi we walk around the markets and pick up a couple souvenirs. We get to the airport in the afternoon and say one last goodbye to Fiji.

bus ride around Fiji

bus ride around Fiji

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.