Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Fijian Resort Life

FIJI | Sunday, 12 July 2009 | Views [517]

Our days in Fiji are relaxing and we enjoy the resort life. We drink kava, race crabs, learn how to open coconuts and even have a near death experience with a falling coconut. 

*A word of advice, if you sit under a palm tree, make sure there are no coconuts hanging over your head.

We've met a great couple, Uros and Lucjia, from Serbia and we spend a bit of time hanging out with them. They've done a lot of traveling and they know a lot about the "conspiracy theories" in which Alicia is so interested. Lucija even has a theory as to why Rich had extra "shadows" around him in Africa. We discuss over tropical cocktails.

At the resort they have hobbycats (small sail boats) and Rich learns to maneuver them quickly and we spend hours sailing around the bay. We didn't manage to find any good snorkeling spots, so we get the resort to take us out to a place where we can see some aquatic life.

A 15 min boat ride takes us around the island to a small sand bar about 1/4 mile from the shore. The guy driving the boat has to drop off one of the resort workers on another island, so he tells us to get out and do some snorkeling, he'll come back to pick us up. Whoa, you mean we're supposed to hang around in the middle of the ocean and just hope you come back for us?? I've seen Open Water and even though we can see the shore, we better not be forgotten...

After a few minutes of swimming around we cant find any fish. There are a few other snorkelers around and they don't seem to be finding anything either. So we head back to the sand bar and wait for the boat, and eventually we hear the motor of the little fisher boat heading our way. Now that the expert is here, he shows us where all the fish hangout and Rich swims around with them while I throw food over the boat to lure them closer. 

After a week here, its time to say good bye to Walu Beach and all our new friends. We take the "coffin" boat back to the mainland - this time in calm seas. 

Waulu Beach Resort

Waulu Beach Resort

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Fiji

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.