Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

NYE 2009

AUSTRALIA | Thursday, 31 December 2009 | Views [499]

New Years Eve 2009: the end of the Noughties. I'm glad actually - I hate that name. Alicia was very keen to go to Sydney but it's ridiculously expensive and I'm not the biggest fan of NYE anyway. We opt instead for a night in Melbourne with a few mates and watching the city's fireworks on the Southbank.

We go round to our friend Ally's place and warm up in customary fashion - with a few drinks. As the evening goes on it starts to rain. Then the thunder and lightning rolls in, and then it starts to pour buckets! Midnight is approaching and we're just about to head into town for the fireworks but it's a monsoon outside. Luckily, our flat is right on the Southbank and we get a decent view from our balcony, so we jump on a tram and all head back to ours. By the time we make it inside, we’re soaked but happy to get the party started up again.

Fireworks blast through the rain and we have a front row seat to an amazing display from the Eureka Tower.

We finish off the evening in style: Champagne, Hugs, Kisses, Dancing; the usual.

I’d like to say I took time out at the end of the evening to reflect on an incredible year. The end of our travels through South Africa, Iguassu Falls in Argentina, Carnaval in Brazil, Mayan ruins in Peru, Ziplining in Costa Rica, SCUBA diving and Swine Flu in Mexico, our tour of the States, the beaches of Fiji, and most recently, living in Australia. But I didn't - I just passed out.

Flames on Southbank

Flames on Southbank

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.