Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Summer Holiday

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 6 January 2010 | Views [565]

We've been working at a place together for the past few months - a salary packaging place in town. Our role is to try and convince people to lease a car through their package and get tax benefits. As we’re calling people at their work, our company has decided that there is no point in us working over the x-mas holidays and has given us a mandatory 3 weeks off. Unpaid. Rubbish.

We toy with the idea of going up to the gold coast and lounging on the beach, but then remember that we’re still trying to get back on our feet after our year of travel..plus there is a chance of getting some temp work around the city. So we stay home but decide to take a few trips around Victoria. We still haven’t seen much outside the city.

We rent a car for a week and do a couple day trips:

Yarra Valley

This is the wine country of Victoria. Less than an hours drive from Melbourne leads you to a very picturesque countryside. Perfect for a day trip of sampling the wines and food of however many wineries you can fit in. All the wineries offer free tastings of however many wines you fancy. It's unfortunate for Rich though - he's driving!

Dandenongs

This is a mountain range just outside Melbourne. Again, perfect for a day trip, visiting the quaint little towns and forests. There's not a whole lot to do there but we fill the day with a decent lunch and walkabout.

Mornington Peninsula

The peninsula is south of Melbourne and culminates with the seaside towns of Sorento and Portsea at the tip. It's Christmas/Summer school holidays so Sorento in particular is packed with kids. This is enough to drive us away but Portsea is really beautiful and looks to be a bit more upmarket.

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.