Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Cricket & Movies

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 30 December 2009 | Views [501]

A big tradition here for Boxing Day is the Boxing Day cricket test match between Australia and whoever is touring at the MCG. Every four years it's England competing for the famous Ashes. This year it's Pakistan. Frankly, it's a hard-sell on Alicia who shares the popular opinion that cricket is really boring. None-the-less, a whole bunch of our friends are going and it'll be a good opportunity to debrief on Christmas Day.

To be fair, the match is a bit boring. (really, really boring – Alicia) But the weather is great and at least Alicia can say she gave it a go. There probably won't be a repeat. Most of us are still tired from our Christmas Day shenanigans and we’re all lazing around doing more drinking and sunbathing than actually watching the cricket.

This is a much better tradition then the post Christmas shopping that Alicia is so fond of!

What we will definitely be doing again, is our trip to the IMAX theatre. With all the hype, we had to go see Avatar, and what better place to go than the world's 3rd largest screen at Melbourne's IMAX? It's very impressive and the massive screen makes it that much better.

Another cool cinema-going experience in Melbourne is the Moonlight Cinema. Set in the botanical gardens, you lounge on beanbags and picnic under the stars to watch anything from old classics through to brand new releases. We go for Top Gun and it's a good choice. There's a whole bunch of people in fancy dress, paying homage to Maverick, Goose, Iceman and Slider. We'll have to get involved next time. Someone mentioned the Goonies is showing sometime soon...

picnic at the moonlite cinema

picnic at the moonlite cinema

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.