Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Christmas Downunder

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 25 December 2009 | Views [493]

So...no snow, no turkey, no glass of port. What we do have is a warm sunny day, an overflowing barbecue, and an ice bucket full of beer. And after lunch, instead of a game of Trivial Pursuit, we'll be playing a game of street cricket. It's an Australian Orphans Christmas...mate!

Tristan - one of our Australian-based British friends - is hosting the day and has put on a great spread. There's an array of cheeses, chips, dips and cured meats to whet the appetite before we indulge in the main event. This is of course all accompanied by a glass or two of sparkling wine.

There's actually 13 of us here for Christmas, and so we've each got a present to open, we've organised a Secret Santa (or Kris Kringle as it's locally known). Evidently we'd all been good boys and gals this year because Santa himself stopped by to distribute the gifts. He's a bit rough around the edges but it was clear everyone appreciated him taking time out of his schedule.

In high spirits, we move the festivities into the street and begin the cricket. Cricket lends itself brilliantly to such an occasion: no real physical effort required, and plenty of time to stand around drinking and chatting. In fact, probably a bit too much on the drinking side. We'd better soak up some of the alcohol – let's fire up the barbie.

King Prawns wrapped in Prosciutto, Garlic Prawns, Chicken Ribs, Lamb Köfte, Scotch Fillet Steak. No more needs to be said on that subject...

Inevitably, the celebrations grow louder throughout the day (and night), culminating in a few broken glasses, a mild concussion, and a stripping Santa Claus. But everyone leaves with a smile on their face and a full belly. Bring on next year!

The winners

The winners

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.