Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

1 day in NYC

USA | Monday, 15 June 2009 | Views [466]

It's Monday and we're up early because this is our only full day in NYC and we have a lot to see. I've been to New York several times but mostly as a kid and mostly to visit family. I don't know the city and neither does Rich, so we decide to go ultra touristy and get on the double decker tour bus.

We start in Times Square and head past the Empire State building, through downtown, past Ground Zero and on towards Brooklyn. Our tour guide tries the “typical” Jewish accent and tells really awful jokes. We're pretty happy to get off the bus and away from him when we stop in Flatbush.

My grandma lives around here, so we go to her place for lunch. There's a great roti shop nearby and we pick up a few to feast on. After a couple hours of catching up (and looking at funny old pictures of Alicia), it's time to move on. We say bye to grandma and hop back on the tour bus.

It takes us around the rest of downtown and as we pass Rockefeller Center it begins to rain. Being seated on the top of the open-top bus, we start to get a little wet, but the rain is light and we're troopers - this has nothing on London weather. We hold our ground, until the rain becomes a bit heavier, and we're forced to put on the cheesy plastic ponchos they're giving out. Finally the heavens open completely and we get absolutely drenched. Time to get off the bus!

We head straight back to the hotel, and put on some dry clothes. The rain has soon stopped and we head out for a new york slice. It's been a busy day and we've seen a lot, so we deserve to indulge ourselves.

on the tour bus

on the tour bus

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.