Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Tulum or not Tulum? That is the question...

MEXICO | Thursday, 7 May 2009 | Views [581]

We leave our luxurious confines at the all-inclusive resort - we've spent enough time here. Because of all these tourist-site closures, we've essentially been restricted to the same area for the past two weeks. Not a bad life, true - but not what we had planned.

We take a bus down to Tulum, where we plan to stay for a couple of days. Trouble is, it's ridiculously expensive. Evidently no-one told them about the swine-flu crisis! No amount of negotiation is gonna help here. So we have no option but to get on a bus straight back to Playa where we know we can stay somewhere cheaper - and better. Probably would've been worth checking out the prices before we arrived, I know I know. Wasted journey.

Still, when we get back we can sort out the issue of our flights out of Mexico. We're supposed to leave from Mexico City, but there's no way we're going back there - the epicenter of the virus. No thanks. So we decide that we'll fly out of Cancun and bring the flights forward. Our 2 weeks on the beach is enough and we're looking forward to getting to the USA. We'll fly in a little under a week. That way we actually get a partial refund, which can go towards domestic flights in the States, and we still have enough time to visit the main attraction: Chichen Itza.

Merida

Merida

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.