Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Take me to see JC!

BRAZIL | Thursday, 12 March 2009 | Views [406]

Our jovial tour guide proclaims this is what most Americans say to him when they get in his van.

We've come back to Rio one last time and although we've been here twice already, we still haven't been up the mountain to see the Cristo - the 35m tall statue of Christ that overlooks Rio. It has recently been named one of the new 7 wonders of the world, so we do really have to see it - in fact the goal is to see all 7 before the end of our trip.

We have already seen this particular wonder many times as it's visible from pretty much everywhere in the city, but it's supposed to be an amazing sight to see up close and we find it funny to watch a group of American tourists taking pictures of each other trying to spell out "Jesus" with their bodies.

Later that afternoon, after the Christo viewing, we get caught in a torrential downpour that seems to last forever. This wouldn't normally a huge problem, but tonight we're getting a bus to Sao Paulo so after 30 mins of trying to find a cab, we just go for it and run through the very flooded streets of Rio. It's disgusting - all that dirt and who-knows-what washing over our flip-flop protected feet. Urghhhhh!

After washing the street muck off, we quickly change into dry clothes and hop on a bus with our friend from Carnaval; Kelita. We're all off to Sao Paulo.

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.