Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

School of Samba (longest parade ever!)

BRAZIL | Monday, 23 February 2009 | Views [480]

Day three, and still going strong...well kind of. It takes us a bit longer to get started today so we go for an early lunch with Leo. Without realising it, we're also walking into an ambush - yet another street party. As soon as lunch is done, there's nothing else to do but grab a beer (a Caipirinha for Alicia) and join the parade. We're soon met by everyone else and normal service is resumed...at least for now - we're about to get a(nother) lucky break.

Rio carnaval is famed for its huge parade, and although it's normally very expensive to get a ticket (especially on the actual day you're going), one of Michele's friends knows someone who can help us out.

The parades take place in what can only be described as a massive catwalk stadium. It's a huge competition event, with (18) samba schools parading their best costumes, floats, music and dance. Split over three nights, six schools go each night. Now my first thought was: "We only get to see six?" Little did I realise that, due to the length of the runway, and the sheer number of people involved, although the night starts at 9pm, the last band isn't finishing until 6am the following morning!

The local people literally go crazy for this thing. They support schools in the same way they would a football team. All year is geared up towards this competition, so when it comes round, they certainly get their money's worth. Alicia decided it was impressive enough to warrant taking 450 pictures - a record even for her!

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.