Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Carnival of Devils and Falling Angels

BRAZIL | Sunday, 22 February 2009 | Views [441]

Day two arrives with a very excited Michele. She wasn't able to come out with us yesterday as she was working. But today is Sunday and it's time for Boitata. Boitata is a huge party in a square in the centre of town and it's where we're headed this morning. This time we're with a large group of Michele's friends, who are all dressed up with angel wings and devil horns. Sunday morning...in Rio...with a whole bunch of angel devils (or devil angels). OK.

Man down! We're making our way through the crowds when suddenly disaster strikes. There's a loud crash and one of the guys we're with is clutching his face. There's blood pouring from a gash in his head and there's another guy lying on the floor. We quickly make an exit and get the fallen angel into an ambulance. His friends all go with him to the hospital and within fifteen minutes of arriving, we're down to the three of us - Michele, Alicia and me.

It turns out, some idiot tried to climb on top of scaffolding and fell, dislodging some rubble, which hit our angel, and ruined a whole load of peoples' Carnavals at the same time. The angel ended up needing loads of stiches, the idiot ended up unharmed.

We're all a bit shaken by this but Kelita and Leo are here somewhere and we need to go and meet up with them. We find them having a good time and although it takes a little while, we're soon back up to racing speed and enjoying another great Carnaval atmosphere. This is a completely different party from those we went to yesterday. This time, there's a stage with a band playing a whole load of Carnaval anthems. The music is catchy and we start to learn enough of the words so we can at least try to sing along. Again, fancy dress is the norm and you've only got to look at our pictures to see how far some people were willing to go!

We finally drag ourselves away from a slowly finishing Boitata, and make our way across town to another street party. This time though, we're a bit late and only catch the very end of what looked like another great time. Not to be denied, we return to Botofogo where an evening party is just getting started. More costumes, more music, more dancing...more beer. Frankly I can't remember too much of this one except a good time was had by all!

Boitata-Carnival day 2

Boitata-Carnival day 2

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Brazil

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.