Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Mozambique - Xai Xai

MOZAMBIQUE | Thursday, 11 December 2008 | Views [863]

In between Tofo and Maputo is a place called Xai Xai, just by the beach. It's almost in the middle so it's a pretty convenient place to stop off as we're driving back south.

We go in search of a place to stay and stumble upon some luxury villas (stumble upon = Alicia insists we go check them out.) There's a guy there who looks like the owner and he tells us there's a one bed villa available at 650 South African Rand (=$65). One of the staff shows us the villa and we're immediately sold. A couple of seconds negotiating and we've got it for 500 Rand ($? - you can work it out!)

Xai Xai is beautiful. The villa is beautiful; one bedroom, kitchen, living room and a balcony that overlooks the ocean. We're happy.

The guy who looks like the owner turns out in fact to be the owner’s friend and just looking after the place for a month. What a great deal - a free holiday in Mozambique! He spends his normal life working in finance and living in South West London, in a place called Surbiton – we probably won’t have heard of it… We have a laugh when I explain I grew up in neighbouring Kingston and my brother lives less than five minutes from his house.

We only planned to stay in Xai Xai for 1 night, but the place is so nice, we have to stay another. So after 2 days of lounging in luxury, we hit the road. Back to South Africa....

Our Balcony at Xai Xai

Our Balcony at Xai Xai

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mozambique

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.