Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Zululand - St Lucia & Shaka's Rock

SOUTH AFRICA | Sunday, 14 December 2008 | Views [855]

Swaziland sits very conveniently in our chosen path between Mozambique and South Africa, so we decide it has to be worth at least a one night stop-over. We endure terrible storms, inadequate road signs and a depressing hostel. We change our minds! No worries though, St Lucia is not far and that marks the start of our South Africa east coast road trip.

St Lucia is about as far east as you can go in South Africa and is predominantly a tourist destination for middle class South Africans. It's got all the attractions you would expect from such a place, but despite the tempatation to blow our budget, we're resolute and decide to stay just a couple of nights and take in what culture we can.

This culture is a nearby Zulu village. As you'll notice from the title of this story, the area has been named Zululand. This is not a branch of Disneyland but rather an area named after the Zulu tribe, recognising their heritage and rightful home. We take a tour of the cultural centre and even get to dance with the Zulu people. We also learn that the doors of Zulu huts are made very low so enemies find it more difficult to enter.

Next stop is Shaka's Rock (named after the infamous Shaka Zulu). It's a surfer's paradise and as neither of us surf, we only spend the one night here before moving on...

Zulu couple

Zulu couple

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about South Africa

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.