Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Mozambique - Tofo

MOZAMBIQUE | Monday, 8 December 2008 | Views [469]

The drive up from Maputo is pretty good. Ignoring a few potholes, the roads really aren't bad and a lot of the time they follow the coast line so you get some really nice scenery. Although by the time you reach Tofo and you've just done a six hour shift in the driving seat (after the drive yesterday and beers last night) you're well pleased it's over.

We've phoned on ahead and booked a room in the sister hostel of the one we stayed in last night; this time Fatima's Nest. It's dark when we get there so we're quite pleased that we'll be staying in a bungalow, until we see the "bungalow" and we realise it's more like what we (and any normal person) would call a hut, or shack, or lean-to. Unfortunately, the disappointment of Fatima's Nest does not end there. The toilets are a mess and disgustingly, the showers are just as bad, and the food - although not bad - is way overpriced. It can certainly be described as our least favourite backpackers to date and, frustratingly, one of the more expensive. Rich is annoyed; Alicia is seething.

As it turns out, Tofo beach itself is not anything to write home about (spot the irony) and after a couple of days we're ready to leave. (side note: Tofu beach is actually really nice, Rich has been forever jaded by the beaches of Zanzibar)

Let's go find somewhere to justify this trip to Mozambique. I know, we'll go to Xai Xai...

Tofo Beach

Tofo Beach

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mozambique

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.