Existing Member?

Alicia & Rich's Roads to Everywhere London to Australia on the route less traveled

Mozambique

MOZAMBIQUE | Sunday, 7 December 2008 | Views [584]

The drive from Pretoria to Maputo (capital of Mozambique) takes about 9 hours and we do it in a day. Other than a brief mandatory stop at a police road block, the journey is pretty much uninterupted all the way to the border. The border crossing itself is not so smooth.

First, you go through the process of leaving South Africa: a queue to get an "exit" stamp on your passport, followed by a queue to get some forms for taking the rental car out of the country. Basic and simple enough.

Next up - Entering Mozambique. Suddenly everything's in Portuguese, and there's a million people loitering around various desks and windows, and generally getting in the way. Logic tells us we have to get a visa, entry stamp, and complete some paperwork to do with the car. All true but soooo much easier said than done! Unfortunately we have no amusing tales to tell involving friendly but dim border officials, or guys herding goats, or a pregnant lady's water breaking. Instead, all we have is the tedious truth of waiting in the sweltering heat, whilst we slowly but surely make our way towards the promise of entry into a third world country.

After an hour or so we've had a chance to ask ourselves plenty of times why we're crossing this border on a Saturday at the start of the Summer holidays, but then we're through and ready to continue our journey.

By the time we arrive in Maputo, it's the evening and we've discovered there are not many hostels with room availability. In fact, there's only one and it's called Fatima's Place quite close into the centre of town. Funnily enough, the room is actually pretty good - despite it apparently being the last one left in Maputo - and although the hostel is a bit rundown, we meet a group from Swaziland, and a South African guy, and after a few "2M's" (Mozambique beers) we're having a good time.

The next morning we're up at a decent time as it's still a good few hours driving up to Tofo - the beach place we're heading to - and we still haven't organised any accomodation there. Just as soon as we can find our way out of Maputo, we'll be on our way. Anytime soon...right about now...surely it's this way...let's stop and ask someone...HOW CAN THERE BE NO ROAD SIGNS??!! Genuinely a full hour after leaving the hostel, we thankfully find ourselves on the main road towards Tofo. Rich and Alicia are not talking to each other. (side note: Alicia suggested a way out at the very start, which turned out to be correct...if only Rich had listened!!!)

The long (and not so winding) road

The long (and not so winding) road

 

About rich


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Mozambique

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.