Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Titlis

SWITZERLAND | Friday, 2 October 2015 | Views [447] | Comments [1]

Public holiday today and we are up early as we are going on a mountain adventure. Making full use of our Tell Pass we jumped on a train and headed for Engelberg to go up Mount Titlis. Breakfast was a coffee and cake for me and hot chocolate and bread roll for Celeste. Much the same for Kerry, Andrew, Katrina and Alain but what can you do? Public holiday, not much open and a scarey price tag on everything else. We also bought our lunch consisting of sharing a roll between couples!
Mount Titlis loomed as we got off the train. Its height is 3020 mtrs above sea level or 10000 feet. Bus to the bottom of the mountain then a Gondola, then Cable Car and then by rotating Gondola to the top.
Amazing sights as you go up and up and up. Craggy mountain tops dwarfed by Titlis but the view is beautiful.  Higher and higher, Colder and colder we get off and we are on a glacier that is awesome. Stepping out onto the glacier you are hit by the cold and wind at the same time. In awe as I am battered by the wind but struck by the beauty around me
Hanging on to everything not secure I lost my hat but managed to retrieve it before it was lost to the wilderness. After playing in the snow and ice for a while we head to do the Cliff walk. 3041 metres above sea level and 500 metres above the glacier it is about 100 metres long. Stepping out we are hammered by the wind that was blowing ice and snow into the air. It registered at 60kph and ebbed and flowed menacing the unwary. Halfway across I had had enough and struggled back as the others went forward.
After lunch I had another go and the others came also and got me through. Damn windy and cold but it felt good to do it. Through an ice cave 20 metres below the Glacier surface was magical. Walking through a tunnel made of blue ice was a definite first.
Back down the way we came after spending a few hours on top of the world we ate our lunch near the station then jumped on a train, then a ferry to go back to Lucerne.
Hunger was wilting us and we found a lovely restaurant close to the hotel. Decision made that enough snack food had been eaten we had a meal! Yes we did! Meat, vegetables and potato we the fare along with a glass of beer and wine. Yummo.
Back to the hotel hoping for wifi and packing to leave tomorrow for France.

 

 

Comments

1

Another great blog Peter... glad you made it across the cliff walk and finally got a decent meal.

  Wendy Oct 3, 2015 11:05 AM

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Switzerland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.