Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Saigon

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 3 October 2006 | Views [241]

The drive back to Saigon was a surprise as the driver that came to pick us up from Ann's Tours was Than who had been our guide 3 years ago as we toured the Mekong. The drive back was just as exhilerating as we weaved our way through the traffic with blaring horn and flashing lights

We arrived at the Continental about 1pm and by now the traffic was chaotic. Many more buildings have gone up since we were last here. The Continental is in a great location and is one of the oldest (125 years) . Inside looks a bit like the Sanitorium from One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest. It's clean but a bit tired.. The rain had cleared after we checked in so we ventured out to explore. We headed to the market past the Opera House, the peoples meeting place and countless motorbikes. It started to all look the same  and I wondered wether I was becoming indifferent or tourism really was starting tp have an effect. Pricing has gone up dramatically in the last 3 years.

Down the side streets traders were not very interested in bargaining as we remembered. Affluence has started to arrive. School was getting out as we wandered the streets and soon motorbikes were loaded with kids weaving in and out  on the road and on the footpath. It may be safer to walk on the Road!. The school children are pristine in their school uniforms and the take great pride in uniforms. The older girls wear Ai Daos and look very resplendant.

The roads are frenetic but now we step off the curb and launch into the madness. Walking slowly but purposefully sees us across the other side without being taken out. Saigon transorms at night and it truly looks very special in the evening.

Thursday 5 Oct

Awake at 6.30. The rooms were very quiet but for some reason we were awake. After breakfast we walked to the War Remnants Musuem. Its a reminder in both written, photos and exhibits of the Vietnam War. Very confronting as you moved through the exhibits of Photos of deformities , barren landscape and facts and figures. 8.7 million tons of explosives were dropped onto Vietnam.  Chemicals rendered the landscape barren, along with major deformities of generations to come

It is raining heavily as we leave the Museum so we catch a cab to the market. Some lunch and we wander the stalls and leave a few dollars lighter.

Vietnam is a wonderful place with inviting people and a history that both makes you weep and at the same time instills a sense of hope as the country moves forward in a way that you know they will prosper.

Great travelling companions but for now it is home to our children who we have missed and look forward to seeing.

 

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.