Existing Member?

Travel is a Wonderful Thing The journey not the arrival matters.. T.S Eliot

Dubai

UNITED ARAB EMIRATES | Friday, 31 August 2012 | Views [190]

 
  
     
      
 
 
Friday, August 31, 2012

Day 1 in Dubai

We arrived in Dubai to a sand storm that blanketed the sky but a warm 38. The flight was good and I would say that Emirates is great to fly with.  The airport in Dubai is shiny, large and very very glitzy. We were picked up by a huge black limo and whisked away to the Pullman where we are staying for two nights. It was fascinating watching skyscrapers lurching out of the barren sandscape. Our hotel is very nice and sits above the Mall of Emirates shopping centre and indoor ski slopes ( yes it is not a typing error ).  As the sunset we listened to the call for prayer echoeing across the city. For now it is time for 2 weary travellers to hit the king size bed.

    
       
      
    
 
    
 
 
 
 
    
          
      
 
    
 

Breakfast was sensational and after indulging we headed off to the ski field. Walking through the the Mall of Emirates was an eye opener with shops of all top name brands beautifully laid out. The ski field was impressive with a chair lift and a ski run as well as a play ground for the kids. We ventured out into the heat (39) to see the Burj Al Arab and Atlantis on the Palm.  A very efficient mono rail gave us a spectacular view of this reclaimed land. Celeste commented that Dubai and the is like Surfers Paradise on steroids. Desert safari by four wheel drive this evening was a spectacular affair. The desert was hot and it was great fun going over dunes, sliding down the side of dunes across and under waves of sand. Four wheel drives were everywhere but there was order. Dinner in a Bedouin camp was a fitting end to the afternoon, watching belly dancing and tucking into a bbq as the sun went down. A very fitting end for our stay in Dubai.

 

About pjandc


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Arab Emirates

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.